Thursday, September 29, 2011

CHEERS FROM SUNNY, WARM LONDON...

Well, my flight was wonderful, though left a little late, but landed on time.  I've never taken a flight as late as this one (11:05 PM), but it was great.  Had dinner in the lounge at Newark, a Gin and Tonic after dinner, a little Champagne and OJ pre-take off, then a little salad of roasted prawn with a raspberry dressing and a dessert of marscapone and fresh berries.  Went right to sleep for a few hours and woke to a breakfast of fruit, coffee, and a bacon sarnie (sandwich -- don't ask!) with HP Brown Sauce!!!!!

My Pre-Take Off Champus and OJ!!!!

Arrived, as I said, on time...breezed thru passport check...luggage waiting...hopped onto the Heathrow Express to Paddington and was checked into my hotel by 12:45!  It was actually beautiful and sunny yesterday -- 27C/80F.  Had a little nap then made my way to Buckingham Palace States Rooms.  Have been thru the palace so many times I just sort of headed straight to the Faberge exhibition and of course the Duchess's wedding gown.  It was all spectacular.  I was fortunate to be walking in front of a young lady who worked on the lace for the wedding gown.  I got to hear all that she was telling her friend.  It was actually machine made lace, that was then cut-out and applied to netting so that the pattern could be customized for the dress.  Apparently there would not have been enough time to make the required lace panels/pattern/design.  Anyway, as always I completely enjoyed the visit. 




Garden (West) Side of Buckingham Palace...
Made my way back to the hotel -- I was really knackered by now -- had a little more nap time -- watched a little telly.  A great show about the history of bedrooms -- hosted by the curator of the royal palaces.  By 9:00 P.M. I was feeling a little hungry -- headed over to "ASK" - a great Italian-ish restaurant.  Stopped at my usual haunt for one -- YES ONE -- glass of beer, then back to the hotel. 

I did say ONE glass...!!!

Will be going down to breakfast after completing this and then head over to Kings Cross Station for my 2 hour train ride to York.

More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment